Thursday, November 9, 2017

Tom Mangelsen

This article talks about a wildlife photographer, Tom Mangelsen. He has been in the business for many years and, even though he was older at the time of the article, he continues to use high standards for shooting wildlife. The author made it a point to mention that he doesn't photograph animals in captivity, he goes to national parks and other traditional environments to find his subjects. I think that this shows a good deal of integrity, especially when there are other people in the industry, who are decades younger who take shortcuts and still try to sell their photos in the same venues.

Throughout the interview, Tom also says repeatedly that he has learned the most about his camera and his approach during the winter. He calls this time "humbling" and really emphasizes the changes that have to occur for photographers in winter. I think we got a small taste of this when visiting Yellowstone, but I can't imagine what it takes to be a person dedicated enough to wait around all day to watch a wolf eat an elk (we only waited for an hour and I was losing steam) or for a bear to maybe cross your path. The fact that there is this element of patience in nature photography is something that I missed earlier in the course, but after this weekend, I feel like I have gained more respect for it.

This is the article

No comments:

Post a Comment