Thursday, November 16, 2017

Winter Tips from Rick Sheremeta

This article has good insights that are especially applicable now, when the snow could happen at any time, no matter when you plan on taking pictures. Having experienced a few of things myself while we were in Yellowstone, these challenges should not be ignored and it is way more useful to gather information in advance than it is to learn on the spot when you could be missing good light or an animal.

The author talks about choosing good metering points to get correctly exposed photos, and some example shutter speeds that work well in falling snow (either to blur it or freeze it in motion). This was something that we had to learn in the job while shooting our bison, but I didn't think to make all of the adjustments he lists out, and I kicking myself for it now. It was also a learning curve when we got to the park and had to compensate for the snow in all of our shots.

I know we talked about these things in class, but I definitely learn better from being in a situation and having to do these things myself, and then I also have to learn from the consequences later rather than discussing them in theory. I think all of these things are best learned when you have the memories to attach to the photos and can also remember the easy corrections to make next time.

This is the article

No comments:

Post a Comment